Location

LLUÍS COMPANYS OLYMPIC STADIUM

Av. del Estadi s/n
08038 Barcelona

Subway (L1 y L3) -  Espanya Station 
Bus: 50, 55, 125, 193
FGC: Espanya Station (Llobregat - Anoia Line)

Shuttle bus service: from 10:30 a.m to 8:30 p.m every 25 min.

 

 

 

 

The Lluís Companys Olympic Stadium was built for the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition. It was completely renovated in 1992 to host the Barcelona ’92 Olympic Games.

 

The stadium was inaugurated on May 20 1929 with the celebration of a football match where a Catalan selection beat an English side, the Bolton Wanderers, 4-0. This large sports installation continued in use until the 1955 Mediterranean Games after which it fell into disuse. When the Olympic Committee chose Barcelona to host the 1992 Olympic Games, a team of architects comprising Vittorio Gregotti, Frederic Correa, Alfons Milà, Joan Margarit and Carles Buxadé renovated the stadium completely with the exception of the facade which was preserved.  New seating for a total of 54 000 spectators was installed.

 

Events as important as the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympic Games and the Paralympic Games or track and field athletic events took place in this space as is recalled in the Joan Antoni Samaranch Olympic and Sports Museum which is found in the Stadium. UEFA has awarded it five star status which qualifies it to host sporting events of the highest level on the continent. In addition to being a sports symbol, the stadium is a well known venue for musical events. It is worth mentioning that the stadium is named after Lluís Companys who was President of the Generalitat of Catalonia during the Spanish Civil War.