Location

RECINTE MODERNISTA DE SANT PAU

C. Sant Antoni Maria Claret, 167
08025 Barcelona

Metro (L5): Sant Pau – Dos de Maig
Bus: H8, 19, 20, 45, 47, 50, 51, 92, 117, 192

 

 

 

 

"WITH ITS OVER 600 YEAR HISTORY, IS ONE OF THE OLDEST INSTITUTIONS IN THE COUNTRY" 

The Sant Pau modernist complex, work of famous Catalan architect Lluis Domenech i Montaner,   built between 1905 and 1930, is the largest modernist complex in Europe and was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1997 for its constructional singularity and artistic beauty.

 

 

This veritable city within a city, was conceived as a closed architectural group of constructions organized following the latest thinking on sanitation and hygiene and consists of a scattered series of well oriented, low-rise pavilions surrounded by gardens. For almost 80 years it was the seat of the Santa Creu and Sant Pau hospital, an institution that has its origins in 1401 in the Hospital of the Holy Cross, located in the Raval district of Barcelona in one of the largest civic buildings of the Gothic era, which today houses the National Library of Catalonia. The governing body of the Hospital, known as the Most Illustrious Directors, comprised representatives of the Government of Catalonia, the Barcelona City Council and the Cathedral Chapter of Barcelona, ​​is with its over 600 year history, one of the oldest institutions in the country with an almost unbroken continuity in time.

 

The trajectory of this institution is inextricably linked to assisting people with limited resources, and its evolution parallels the major social developments and those in medicine of the time. At the same time, the Sant Pau modernist complex, a world renowned heritage site, houses one of the most important historical archives in the country detailing the social evolution of Barcelona, the growth of the city and advances in medicine.

 

After over a century of being the seat of the Santa Creu and Sant Pau hospital, the Modernist site has undergone one of the most ambitious processes of patrimonial rehabilitation to date, revealing all its artistic wealth. This process, conducted under strict sustainability criteria, has retrofitted the pavilions, built in the early twentieth century, with the most advanced technologies to provide workspaces befitting the twenty-first century.

 

These architectural innovations have parallels in the new uses of the pavilions. The venue has now become a Modernist knowledge, research and innovation campus where major international organizations, some directly linked to the United Nations, have their seat. Health, sustainability and education are the three main areas of investigation being conducted by the organizations located in the enclosure.

 

This architectural complex, with the force of a major art treasure of European modernism, adds dynamism to an international research project. The renovation has resulted in the restoration of an important icon of heritage and culture of undisputed architectural and historical value to Catalonia.

 

Being able to hold 080 Barcelona Fashion, an activity that expresses the dynamism and strength of one of the most important economic and cultural sectors of our country, in this complex, is of great satisfaction. Modernism and modernity; architecture and fashion, a combination that we are confident will result in success for everyone.

 

Welcome to the St. Pau Modernist complex.

 

Josep Lluis Alay
Manager in turn
Most Illustrious Directors